Let’s take a look forward at design trends that will have a lasting impact. What will your home look like? The pandemic didn’t create new ideas for your home, but underscored the need for certain elements to be present in your home.
Design Trends of 2021:
1.Remodeling! Now is the time to take your home seriously.
2.Women in remodeling.
- Women compose 50% of residential buyers at Home Depot, Lowe’s, and other hardware stores, spending 50% more than male customers
- Women make 85% of the home remodeling decisions
- 85% of women are or expect to be solely responsible for a home at some point in their lives
- 81% of women own tools, 1 in 5 has an extensive tool collection
- 53% of married women are primarily responsible for basic household maintenance and repair
- 61% of women homeowners say they enjoy home maintenance and repair projects
- 83% of women say working with tools makes them feel independent
- 63% of women believe that they are charged more than men for the same home repair services
- 63% of women homeowners say they’d rather get an hour of free advice from a Home Improvement expert than from Dr. Phil.
3.The Home Office. This is not a temporary Covid prediction. A study by Upwork found that 36.2 million Americans (22% of the workforce) will be working remotely by 2025, which is an 87% increase from the number of remote workers prior to the pandemic.
4. Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU)
5. We will soon stop talking about Smart Homes.
6. Quality over quantity.
7. Less open concept, but more glass in each room.
8. Laconic design – the rule of three.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images